Avenue Baptist Church is delighted to announce the creation of a new position of a Children & Families Worker. If after reading the job description you would like to apply please click on this link for the Children’s and Family Worker Application Form and send it to Andrew Picton at firstname.lastname@example.org or Avenue Centre, 14 Avenue Terrace, Westcliff on Sea, SS07PL . Please note the closing date for applications is on Sunday 14th July 2019.
Responsible to: Andrew Picton
Hours of Work: 14-21 hours / week to be reviewed after 6 months
Salary: £25, 000 pro rata
The Children and Families Worker will lead and develop Avenue Baptist Church’ ministries with children and families in Southend in three key areas:
1. Co-ordinating the current work with children and young families. Ensuring it is ‘joined up’, that groups and activities are working in harmony with one another by sharing a common vision and mission.
2. Extending our work with young children and their families, supporting and encouraging our existing volunteer leaders, whilst enabling further development.
3. Reaching out to families outside the church in creative ways and then welcoming new families by connecting them into other ministries as appropriate
1. Lead and develop Avenue Baptist Church’s current work with 0-11’s and their families by supporting and co-ordinating our Sunday groups, supporting All Age Services and mid week children’s ministries.
2. Help co-ordinate and facilitate special events across the year. Examples may be a Holiday club, alternative Halloween party, family fun days etc.
3. Develop, train and equip teams of volunteers for our ministry with families.
4. Act as a point of contact and ‘friend to the family’ of those with young children at Avenue Baptist Church, identifying those who are new to the church, helping them to integrate and sign posting pastoral needs where appropriate with the help of existing ministries.
5. Drawing together children’s and families ministries to create and implement strategies for engaging with children and families outside the church. Examples may be working with local schools and parenting courses.
6. Liaise with other groups in the church as may be required, particularly the Leadership and Pastoral Care team.
7. Regular attendance at Sunday morning services and mid week team meeting.
• A personal faith in Jesus Christ.
• A love for children and families.
• An understanding of, and empathy with, the challenges of family life and a willingness to support parents and carers in their parenting.
• A team player – someone who is able to enthuse and inspire volunteers in their ministries at Avenue Baptist Church.
• An eagerness to learn and develop, to try new things and work with flexibility and enthusiasm.
• Ability to respect matters of confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Vision, initiative, and self motivation.
• A commitment to and an understanding of Avenue Baptist Church vision and values
A relevant qualification in teaching or children’s ministry is desirable.
• Excellent pastoral skills with adults and children is essential
• Ability to communicate and engage with groups of adults and children is essential.
• Excellent literacy and numeracy is essential.
• Strong ability to come alongside and develop others is essential .
• Strong organisational and time management skills is essential.
• Knowledge of and commitment to good practice in Safeguarding is essential.
• To be innovative and creative in developing Children’s and Family Ministry is essential.
• IT skills with knowledge of varied social media channels is desirable
• Involvement in leading children’s activities;
• Evidence of presenting to a range of groups and audiences
There is a genuine occupational requirement that the post holder is a Christian.
The post is subject to an Enhanced DBS disclosure.